Marjorie was born in Cheshire in 1891 and lived for the most part in the Tattenhall area.
In 1909 the VADs (Voluntary Aid Detachment) was set up to provide field nursing services, mainly in hospitals and in 1915 Marjorie qualified as a VAD at Roehampton in London.
Sometime later she returned to Tattenhall and joined the Chester Remount depot no.2, based in Crane Street, Chester which was under the direct command of Headquarters, Western Command Chester. It had been established by Miss Dorothy Ravenscroft. There were at least two Remount depots in Chester. Depot no.1, possibly in Leadworks Lane, was set up by Miss E G Bather, and accomodated about 250 horses. The land for the depot was donated by Mr B O Rigby, later Captain Rigby, in 1915.
Remount depots were “convalescent” homes where sick or injured army horses were taken, in order to be made fit again for service. In the Chester depots up to forty horses were cared for at any one time: the depot specialised in healing horses which had been suspended from duty because they were “incurably vicious”
The women who worked in these depots were gentle women, and were used to handling and riding horses. The work was arduous and heavy and the days were long. The “lads”, as they were affectionately known were highly regarded:
“(with)determination and quiet pluck…(they) sent the animals back to the Army not only cured but fool proof”
Receipt books for the depot, kept by Marjorie covering the period 1917 to the end of 1918 show such items as oats, hay, straw, wheat, bran, linseed, chaff and sacks were being purchased and also gave some indication of the number of horses being cared for.
This information and the images have been provided by Chester Library as part of their Great War Stories.